Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The difference in motorcycle maintenance

scoopy-i
This is a Scoopy-i


Since I found some extra time (during work :D), why not write another post just to build up the category column.

2 months ago I went to Chiang Mai for the routine visit. There I always rode a mini motorcycle scoopy-i belongs to a special someone. Riding a free bike is a blessing but actually it didn't cost much to rent a bike in Chiang Mai. It cost about 200 baht a day approximately $8 Singapore. I will usually stay for 4 days which cost 600 baht for 3 days rental.

Ok, long story short. With much courtesy, I offered to send the bike for servicing since it is about 3 months away from the last service. I rode to a bike repair shop and converse in broken Thai with the mechanic. I ordered a full check on the machine. According to our endless boxing rounds conversation, I summarize my knowledge into the followings,

  • The bike is about 4 years old.
  • The battery is old and had not change before (original).
  • The brakes is still in serviceable condition (need not change). 
Without further ado, I asked to change the engine oil, gear oil, oil filter, battery and air filter. Through a series of thumbs up, I told him to use premium oil. He tried his best and make me understand that he cannot give a further discount(although I didn't ask) for the battery which is 480 baht. I nodded my head in acceptance. I told myself that I have rode this free bike for 6 occasions with 4-6 days each. It is time to return a favor from the bottom of my heart.

Wait a minute, how much is the battery? I quietly thought to myself. I make some calculation in my head. 480 baht is about $19. Instantly I feel something is wrong. It is either I hear wrongly or he counted wrongly. I mean how can a motorcycle battery be $19?

The servicing took about 45 mins because some customers came in midway with really small fixing. After everything is done, I took out my wallet and signal to pay. He wrote on a piece of paper - 890. I gave him 1000 baht and watch his reaction. With much gratitude he return 110 baht in change. I'm puzzled. I ask him pointing to the empty battery box, "tao rai"(how much). He anxiously want to explain again the no discount story in Thai which I avoid listening since I don't understand it. I asked again and he confirmed the price as 480 baht.

Conclusion

I spent $35 to change

  1. engine oil (1 liter)
  2. oil filter
  3. gear oil (1 bottle)
  4. air filter
  5. battery
I know it is a scoopy-i, but have anyone serviced the above items for $35? This is crazy!
What have Singapore become? What happened to the oils during its travel to Singapore? Who make the money in between? This is not cheap but the actual normal price suppose to be. Why did the same item cost 3-4 times more here?

Time spent: 34 mins

            

1 comment:

  1. Really nice thing you had posted. By seeing this people can get some responsibilities and ideas to hire with the external services for a quality clean. And if you are searching for the better services can prefer with our services.

    Bike Spa Services in Mumbai

    Bike Cleaning Services at Doorstep in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete